I’m sure many of you can relate to the dilemma of having a closet full of clothes but only a fraction of them actually get worn. You have the best of intentions to mix and match other pieces, but you often find yourself falling into a clothing routine. Monday morning comes around and you stand in your closet, holding a steaming cup of coffee, trying to choose an outfit to wear for the day. There are clothes upon clothes upon clothes, yet you see nothing to wear. The hum drum of your wardrobe causes you to choose the same thing you’ve worn a million times instead of reworking the wheel to come up with a new outfit combination.
We all have items in our closets that are by far our favorites.
The denim jeans that get worn twice as often as any other pair in your wardrobe.
The cross-body bag you haven’t left the house without in months, letting all your others hang on the door collecting dust.
Maybe it’s your favorite pair of slip on sneakers that seem to compliment every outfit.
The go-to sweater you pull on every time it’s a chilly morning.
I’m sure you’re picturing yours right now.
What if you could wear the same thing over and over but still create a fresh look?
Keep the ease and simplicity of wearing your favorite pieces on repeat, but don’t wear them the same, old, boring way all season long. Mix it up! Use styling and creativity to change up the accessories and complimentary outfit pieces.
Here are 20 outfit inspiration ideas to restyle your favorite sweater so you can continue rocking it all winter long.
Belt it at the waist.
- Tie it up and knot it on the side.
- Layer a button-down shirt underneath the sweater. Allow the collar and the cuffs to peak out.
- Tuck it in into a skirt, such a trendy, denim button-down.
- Wear a vest over it. Go for something furry or with fringe texture.
- Wear it with a scarf. The pattern will change up the whole mood of the look.
- Pair a bold lip color with it. Try a deep oxblood red for wintertime.
- Choose a bag to compliment it. Rock a large tote one day and a pop of color clutch the next.
- Wear it with trendy velvet leggings to add a hint of glamour.
- Change up the shoes. Opt for boots one day and flats the next.
- Layer a loose t-shirt or tank over it for a draped look.
- Pair it with statement jewelry such as earrings or a necklace.
- Wear it beneath overalls, which were wildly popular in 2017.
- Throw a leather jacket on top.
- Layer it over a maxi dress.
- Style a summer mini dress over a simple sweater.
- Go for an athleisure vibe with jogger pants.
- Tuck it into high waist denim for an elongated leg. Add heels for an elegant look.
- Throw on a beanie or beret to top off the outfit.
Create a monochromatic look by sporting the same color pants.
In this outfit, I paired this cozy yellow sweater with statement leggings and booties. Next time, I might cinch in the waist with a belt or add a furry vest on top.
The possibilities are endless.
With this simple checklist, you can create 20 simple and completely different outfit options all with your one favorite sweater.
No more guess work! Instead of wasting your morning picking out an outfit, now you can use that extra time for something more productive… like sleeping in for 15 more minutes. Who doesn’t want that?
Shop my leggings here
Shop a similar yellow sweater here
Leave your thoughts and comments below.
Until next time